- Makes sure of the compliance, the development, and
adherence to food safety, good manufacturing practices, Hazardous
Analysis Critical Control Point Program, government regulatory agencies,
and customer and independent third party audit services standards.
- Establishes, participates, and maintains continuous
quality improvements processes in the Quality Assurance Department.
- Supports initiatives for continuous process
improvements as a technical advisor to maintain food safety and quality management
- Manages the Quality Assurance Department and the
overall expectations pertaining to setting work schedules, costs, and
- Directs, trains, coaches, empowers, develops, and
mentors the Quality Assurance Department Assurance’s team members.
- Provides the necessary definition, development, and
deployment of raw material, product in process, and finished product
quality strategy in addressing all phases of food safety and quality
- Designs, defines, and builds quality check points
and testing requirements to maintain product consistency throughout the
- Assures the viability, functionality, and
effectiveness of essential tools and equipment for the Quality Assurance
Department to operate efficiently.
- Oversees the overall plant/facilities sanitation
guidelines and procedures are in compliance with local, state, and
federal government regulatory agencies.
- Facilitates and ensures all employees and management
staff are trained in compliance with food safety, hazardous analysis
critical control point, and quality management system programs.
- Conducts and directs plant/facility inspection and
quality control audits to generate corrective actions, action plans for
improvements, and forces accountability in getting interdepartmental
feedback for accurate resolutions.
- Conducts internal quality audits to maintain, to
update, to verify, to validate, and to record all documentation
pertaining to quality management systems, food safety programs, and
continuous quality improvements.
- Administers the Product Recall Program to ensure the
processes and the procedures are executed effectively and efficiently.
- Oversees the evaluation of raw materials, packaging
materials, and coding and printing information requirements to comply
with local, state, federal government, and customer quality standards
- Coordinates all inbounds notifications from the
Frozen Storage and Warehouse (US Cold Storage) to audit frozen raw
material upon arrival.
- Oversees the daily inspection and documentation of
inbound deliveries of frozen raw materials to conform to quality
standards and specifications.
- Documents and isolates all inventories of frozen raw
materials on “HOLD” status due to failure of quality standards and
- Coordinates and Communicates continually with
Corporate Procurement Department, Plant Manager, and Corporate Director
of Operations when raw material fails quality standards audits to seek
guidance and an accurate resolution for product’s final disposition.
- Evaluates daily all inventories of failed raw
materials and potential reworks to make recommendations for further
product’s further disposition.
- Develops, implements, updates, monitors, and
enforces customer product’s quality standards and specifications.
- Develops, implements, updates, enforces, and
maintains the documentation of quality processes and procedures to
ensure the compliance of food safety and quality management systems.
- Manages, audits, and directs the quality sampling
program to monitor consistently product’s quality standards and
- Makes sure all finished products not meeting
customer’s quality standards and specifications are documented and
isolated for an accurate disposition.
Food Safety and Quality:
Enforces Critical Control Points and ensures the Corrective
Actions are taken and resolved in a timely manner.
Microbiology Laboratory Support:
- Oversees the compliance of Microbiology Laboratory’s
processes and procedures as well as work environment safety and food
- Develops, implements, updates, and maintains
accurate documentation and records of microbiology plating sampling in compliance
with local, state, or federal government regulatory agencies and/or
- Maintains an adequate inventory of supplies
necessary and up to date equipment to perform the required sampling and
testing in the microbiology laboratory.
Research and Development Support:
- Assists the Plant Manager and the Director of
Business Development in making recommendations on packaging materials to
ensure compliance with customer’s quality standards and specifications.
Furthermore, analyzes and verifies the impact in production
efficiencies, in food safety, and quality management systems.
- Coordinates the preparation and shipping of product
samples requests for our current customers, corporate office, and/or
- When requested – will organize and participate in
product cuttings, new product development, and new packaging development
to meet potential customer’s standards and specifications for food
safety and quality management systems.
Plant Audits Support:
- When requested by the Director of Operations – will
be available to travel and conduct audits to primary suppliers of raw
materials and vendors and/or manufacturing and packaging subcontractor
operations to ensure compliance with the Company’s food safety and
quality management systems requirements.
- Documents and reports on audit’s findings to
generate corrective actions, action plans for improvements, and forces
accountability in getting feedback for accurate resolutions.
Other Administrative and Essential Duties:
- Assist with the requirements and the compliance of
specific regulatory agencies annual renewals and new issuance of permits
and certificates as directed by local, state, or federal government
regulations, external organizations for food safety and quality
certifications requirements, and state and local Health Department
compliance and regulations.
- Leads the Quality Assurance Department in all facets
of food safety and quality management systems.
- Prepares and reviews annual written evaluations of
each employee under his/her supervision in a professional manner
providing specific results of the goals and responsibilities achieved or
- Works with the Human Resources Administrator
actively to fill and maintain staffing levels to operate efficiently,
effectively, and in accordance of the Company’s business demands.
- Provides routine training, counseling, discipline,
and constructive criticism in order to maximize desired performance from
all the employees under his/her supervision.
- Assists, sustains, and documents training programs
established by the Company to maintain employees educated and
communicated with the latest information about policies and procedures
- Assists The Human Resources Administrator in
providing and completing accurate information for accident or incident
reports for all the Quality Assurance Department’s work related
- Interfaces with plant management to anticipate
disruption in production due to non-compliance with standards and
specifications requirements for food safety and quality management
- Adheres to and enforces Company’s policies,
procedures, training programs, and performance standards in accordance
with all written Company’s documentation.
- Interacts with Refrigerated and Frozen Warehouse
Company for Food Safety and Quality discrepancies.
- Enforces and reports any violation of safety, food
safety, and security standards.
- Completes in a timely and accurate manner all
required reports, documents, and quality logs.
- Serves as back-up to the Plant Manager or Continuous
Improvement Coordinator in enforcing and monitoring food safety, quality
management systems, and sanitation procedures.
- The Quality Assurance Manager will be expected to
cross-train with all positions, within his/her department, which
involves the Quality Assurance Supervisor, Quality Assurance Technician
I, Quality Assurance Technician II, and Quality Assurance Technician
- Updates job knowledge by participating in
professional educational opportunities, maintaining professional
certifications, reading professional publications, maintaining
professional networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Carries out other duties as requested or assigned by
the Plant Manager.
The Quality Assurance Manager functions, adapts, and performs in a
fast-paced work environment. He or she demonstrates professional ethics and a
positive attitude while driving processes, reconciling conflict among
individuals or departments, and motivating and inspiring teamwork with all
employees. He/She must also maintain a professional appearance and provide a
positive company image to the public. Furthermore, to perform this job
successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative skills and/or
abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- EDUCATION: High school diploma or equivalent
required. Four year degree, some college coursework, certification and/or
training in ISO 22000:2005, SQF 2000, BRC, HACCP, food security, food
science, microbiology, food production sanitation, and quality
assurance. Experience in food processing or manufacturing industry may
be considered in combination with education requirements.
- WORK EXPERIENCE: Two to eight years minimum
work experience in Quality Assurance, Sanitation, or Health Science.
- LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, write, and
interpret documents such as safety rules, policies, and procedure
manuals as well as the ability to communicate effectively with all
levels of employees and management. Must be able to speak, read, write
and fully comprehend English language. Bilingual (English & Spanish)
- MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add,
subtracts, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole
numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- REASONING SKILLS: Ability to apply common
sense understanding to carry out instructions and give instructions,
oral or diagram form.
- COMPUTER SKILLS: Knowledge of Computer software
for word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations for business
document writing, report and presentation, and mathematical
- PLANNING/ORGANIZATION SKILLS: Must have
ability to prioritize and plan work activities, using time efficiently,
and developing realistic plans.
- INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: Ability to maintain
confidentiality and to exhibit a professional manner in dealing with
others as well as maintain constructive working relationship.
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of
those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee
is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk, bend, stoop, kneel, or
hear; and occasionally required to climb, balance, crouch and crawl .
The employee is frequently required to use hands, finger perform
keystrokes, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Employee must occasionally be able to lift and/or
move up 5 to 10 pounds and occasionally, 10 to 20 pounds with
- While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is regularly required to stand and walk 50% to 100% and/or sit
for 20% to 50% of the time working with a computer keyboard and a
computer during a shift of eight or more hours in length.
- Willingness to work hours in excess of the normal
schedule to meet deadlines.
- Consistently adapts to changes in the work
environment, manages contending demands and to be able to deal with
frequent changes, delays, and unexpected events.
- Must be able to handle stress and maintain a
positive attitude and professionalism.
- The employee must have the ability to work in and
out of a refrigerated environment with temperatures ranging from 32F to
45F degrees. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to
loud. Equipment is frequently washed resulting in wet floors. Hearing
protection is required. In addition, the employee will have minimal
exposure to hazardous chemicals or odors, and must use protection as